(image: Balcony Garden Web)
Every year I promise myself this will be the year I finally plant my dream garden. Between work, kids, and the other multitude of things to do in the yard, I never seem to get around to creating a garden. This year, HAPARI ladies and gents, let’s do it together! Hooah! Let’s plant the vegetable garden of our dreams and have fresh veggies to eat all year long; and, we’re not too late - in most areas May is the perfect month to start planting a vegetable garden. Whether you’re looking for ripe veggies in the summer or looking to have a harvest in the fall, it’s a great time to start planning your dream garden!
Today, we’re sharing the best seeds to plant now (in May!); these plants will thrive in the warmer weather and longer days throughout summer. We’re also sharing gardening tips and tricks to make creating your dream garden a breeze!
Check out Some Of Our Springtime Gardening Veggies!
May is a great time to start your garden. If you’re like me, veggies are a main focus in my ideal garden. Enjoying freshly grown, organic veggies straight from my own home (and for a fraction of the cost) sounds like a dream come true. We’ve created a list of the best veggies to plant now with the hopes of a wonderful harvest in the next few weeks.
(image: Doctor Oz)
- Beans: As the soil starts warming up, it’s a great time to start planting beans. We recommend planting the topcrop bean; this bean seed, more commonly known simply as green beans, yields a large harvest in 2-3 months. It’s a great option to have delicious, healthy greens by mid-July!
- Tomatoes: Did you know tomatoes are the most popular garden fruit? It comes as no surprise to me; we love, love, love them at my house! There’s nothing better than a fresh tomato straight off the vine. To have delicious ripe tomatoes by Fall, plant in May. We recommend starting with cherry tomatoes. The small marble-sized variation is the easiest to grow.
- Summer Squash & Zucchini: Planting your summer squash and zucchini at the end of May will yield delicious veggies by the end of July/beginning of August. Our recommendation is to go with scallop-type squashes (sometimes called Patty Pan Squash). This variety is very easy to care for and should be ready to harvest in 50 days.
- Carrots: Carrots are a delicious vegetable to plant! They’re also a superfood; they contain Beta Carotene, a powerful antioxidant which provides vitamin A to the body creating healthy, glowing skin. Carrots also contain vital minerals and nutrients that can aid in digestion. How cool is that?! If you’re looking to plant carrots start planting now! Carrots planted in mid-May will be ready for harvest in 70-80 days after planting.
- Corn: It’s been a dream of mine to have my own corn plants for as long as I can remember. Just imagine going out to your backyard and picking a fresh, yummy piece of corn for dinner…. Ahh it’s a dream! And, corn is extremely healthy; it’s jam-packed with ample vitamin A, B, E and it’s is high in fiber. Planting corn now will yield ripe veggies by the end of August.
Good luck planting your gardens this summer fellow green thumbs! We can’t wait to hear how it goes, and let us know if you have any gardening tips we should know about. We’d love to share with our entire HAPARI community.
For more posts like this, check out the HAPARI Blog. We’re like your favorite lifestyle blog, but better - mostly because we follow the HAPARI code of creating quality content you want to read. See you there!