As a swimwear company, we take sun protection very seriously. Protecting our skin from the harmful effects of the sun is essential for maintaining healthy and youthful-looking skin. With numerous sunscreen options available on the market, it's important to understand the differences between mineral and chemical sunscreens so you can decide which one is better for you. In this blog post, we'll explore the characteristics, benefits, and considerations of both types, allowing you to make informed decisions about which sunscreen is best suited for your needs. Lastly, we’re sharing our favorite sun protection clothing items to add to your beach or pool day routine.
What are mineral sunscreens?
Mineral sunscreens, also known as physical or inorganic sunscreens, utilize natural minerals, such as zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, as their active ingredients. These minerals work by sitting on the surface of the skin and creating a physical barrier that reflects and scatters UV rays away from the skin.
Benefits of mineral sunscreens:
- Broad-spectrum protection: mineral sunscreens provide excellent protection against both UVA and UVB rays, safeguarding your skin from sunburns, premature aging, and skin cancer.
- Gentle on sensitive skin: the natural minerals used in mineral sunscreens are generally well-tolerated, making them suitable for individuals with sensitive or reactive skin.
- Immediate effectiveness: mineral sunscreens offer immediate protection upon application, as they don't require time for absorption into the skin.
- Less likely to cause irritation: due to their physical barrier mechanism, mineral sunscreens are less likely to cause skin irritation or allergies.
Considerations for mineral sunscreens:
- White cast: some mineral sunscreens may leave a white cast on the skin, especially if not properly blended in. However, many modern mineral sunscreens have improved formulations, reducing this issue.
- Thicker texture: mineral sunscreens tend to have a thicker consistency compared to chemical sunscreens, which can feel heavier on the skin.
What are chemical sunscreens?
Chemical sunscreens, also referred to as organic sunscreens, contain active ingredients like avobenzone, octisalate, or octinoxate. These ingredients work by absorbing UV radiation and converting it into heat, which is then released from the skin.
Benefits of Chemical Sunscreens:
- Lightweight and non-greasy: chemical sunscreens generally have a lighter texture, making them easier to apply and more comfortable for everyday use.
- Transparent application: Unlike mineral sunscreens, chemical sunscreens usually blend into the skin without leaving a white residue.
- Longer-lasting protection: chemical sunscreens tend to provide longer-lasting protection due to their ability to absorb UV rays, rather than reflecting them.
Considerations for Chemical Sunscreens:
- Potential skin irritation: some individuals with sensitive skin may experience irritation or allergic reactions to certain chemical sunscreen ingredients. It's important to read the labels and be aware of any personal sensitivities.
- Absorption time: chemical sunscreens require approximately 20 minutes to be fully absorbed into the skin before they can effectively protect against UV rays.
Choosing the Right Sunscreen:
Selecting the ideal sunscreen for your needs depends on various factors, such as skin type, personal preference, and intended use. Here are a few tips to consider:
- Skin type: if you have sensitive or reactive skin, mineral sunscreens may be a better choice due to their gentle nature.
- Sun exposure: if you'll be spending prolonged periods in direct sunlight or participating in outdoor activities, chemical sunscreens might provide longer-lasting protection.
- Personal preference: consider your texture and application preferences when choosing between mineral and chemical sunscreens.
- Pediatricians recommend mineral sunscreens for young kids: because chemical sunscreen is absorbed into the bloodstream, it’s recommended to use mineral sunscreen on young kids.
Sun protection clothing from HAPARI
Along with advocating for safe sun practices, including using sunscreen every time you’re outside and reapplying every two hours, we also encourage you to look into sun protection clothing to add to your swimwear gear. Check out the items below to help you stay safe in the sun:
Rash Guards: Rash Guards are protective shirts designed to be worn over your swimsuit. Originally made to help surfers protect their skin from sun, rashes, and chaffing, many people besides surfers now wear these protective clothing pieces when they’re out in the sun. At HAPARI, we have two styles of women’s rash guards—short sleeve and long sleeve rash guards. Pick up one or two of these to wear over your swimsuit for added protection for beach and pool days.
- Cover-ups: When you’re planning to be out in the sun, try adding a cover-up—like a duster, dress, or poncho—over your swimsuit. These added clothing pieces can help create a barrier between your skin and the sun. Wearing these while you’re not in the water can help minimize sun exposure. At HAPARI, we have a number of different cover-up options including many new styles from our loungewear collection. Check 'em out and stock up!
Now that we know the differences between mineral and chemical sunscreens, and how sun protection clothing can help add additional barriers, it’s time to shop!
Shop now and score swimwear for just $20!
The HAPARI $20 Swim Sale is happening right NOW! For a limited time, you can snag swimwear tops—including tankini, midkini, and bikini styles—one piece suits, and swim bottoms for just $20 each. It’s an incredible sale and one that will not last long; we’ve set aside a set amount of inventory to be included in the sale and when it’s gone, it’s gone. With summer just around the corner, now is the perfect time to stock up on swim pieces to last you the entire season.
This $20 Swim Sale is applicable to all swimwear pieces except new release prints. But, pssst...if you use code: SUMMER30 at check out, you can still score 30% OFF new release swimwear and loungewear pieces. Better hurry, these deals won't last long!
Ready for more lifestyle articles, product features, and healthy living tips? Check out the other articles in our HAPARI blog. We feature special product spotlights, healthy eating and fitness advice, and exclusive insider deals on our swimwear.